Do you know how to properly brush and floss? If not, that’s OK! Our Provo Pediatric Dental team is happy to help you. Here are your brushing and flossing instructions:
How to brush:
1. Place your toothbrush in your mouth so it lies at a 45-degree angle to your gums.
2. Be gentle as you brush. Use just enough pressure to feel the bristles against your gums and teeth. There is no need to push hard enough that it squishes the bristles.
3. Brush the outer, inner, and top surfaces of each tooth. While you brush, use short, circular motions. Be gentle as you brush along the gumline.
4. While you brush the front teeth, tilt the toothbrush vertically and make up-and-down strokes with the front of the brush.
5. Do your best to thoroughly brush your smile for two minutes.
6. When you are done brushing, scrub your tongue to eliminate germs and bacteria that reside there.
How to floss:
1. Start by using about 18 inches of floss. Wind most of the floss around one of your middle fingers and then wind the rest around the same finger on the other hand.
2. Keep about 1 inch of floss between your fingers and gently glide that section between your teeth using a gentle sawing motion. Make sure you use a clean section of floss between each tooth.
3. When you reach the gumline, curve the floss into a C and scrape it against your tooth.
4. Scrape the sides of each tooth and remove as much plaque and food particles as you can. Don’t forget to clean between the back molars.
5. Repeat this process for each tooth. Please remember to be gentle as you floss along the gumline. If you haven’t flossed in awhile, your gums might feel a bit tender and sore. This is normal and it will go away with time.
Make sure you brush twice a day and floss at least once a day. Also, please use a soft-bristled toothbrush, fluoride toothpaste, and products that have been approved by the American Dental Association as you clean your smile. If you have any questions or if you would like to know more, please remember that you can always talk to your dentist, Dr. Trace M. Lund & Kevin R. Markham, and our caring dental team if you just call 801.373.4200. We are more than happy to teach you all we can about oral hygiene in Provo, Utah!